Encyclopedia of the Tanks of World War II
Last updated on July 31st, 2004. More recent update at a new location
One more web site about the tanks of World War II ? No, THE web site about the tanks of World War II. Many others exist, some are excellent but have a look at this one, you won't be disappointed
Mail and virusesThe viruses that are rife on the net these days have provoked some troubles in our inflow of mails. We hope that the problem will be solved soon and we apologize for the inconvenience.
We would like to present the authors of viruses and other spammers the expression of our most sincere contempt. If you are too impotent to build, just destroy, it is easier.
|An advancing bataillon of Tigers in the summer of 1943|
The way the encyclopedia works
- There one record for each vehicle (there are more than 500), with an historical and technical overview, a photo and a guide how to differentiate it visually from others. To find the one you are looking for try:
- The Table of Contents: the main types, sorted by country
- The Alphabetical index by names: you can look up for any known designation and find the right vehicle
- The Hierarchical index: all machines grouped by "lineages"
- To understand what the tanks were really worth, compare them: we give you two instruments.
- One to One Comparisons
- The Diagrams for comparisons of all vehicles on one criterium (see below)
- The history of the tanks country by country: see our articles below
- A little fun for beginners, connoisseurs or specialists, the quizzes below are for you
Index Table of ContentsArticlesQuiz
What's new in 2004It is a modest update. We are working on a CD version of the encyclopedia, which will be much more exhaustive. It already exists in French, but, because of logistical problems, it won't be available in English before next year.
There are some new features on the web site though. We added more than a hundred of new vehicles, most of them armored cars, special tanks and half-tracks. Seeing the overwhelming response to the quizzes, we propose a new one to your shrewdness: can you recognize a tank on a picture ? Yes ? No ? Anyway, have fun with it.
Next update in 2005
Also interested in other aspects of World War II ?
Don't hesitate to use them. All links to our web sites are welcome. We would like to thank Jean Secardin, to whom we owe all the background images and the banners above.
Made by LemaireSoft © July 24, 2004